Sunday, February 06, 2005

mad world

hoookay....

Had the coolest day today. Took a trip into Camden Town with Kirsty. We were going to head off later to see a movie, but we kinda got distracted with all the sights and delights... of course, ended up spending money accidentally on a few things. Picked up a few bargains actually.

£15 pair of funky brown street shoes/ runners
£12 chunky ring of mother of pearl set in silver
£35 (ouch!) for some really gorgeous woollen light brown fishermen's wrap around pants.

coffees and hot chocolate in one of the groovy cafes on the canal near the lochs.

I don't think we even saw nearly half of it all. This place has absolutely everything. Cheap groovy clothes, homewares, music to suit anyone's rhythm, food stalls galore from all over the world (Carribean, Japanes, African etc...).

It's also still punk city. I saw some "wicked" mohawks, piercings, tattoos and red checked pants with braces.

leather gear everywhere. It was "well fun".

Anyways, took the cheezy shots of my first double decker bus ride. I just can't believe the crowds of people here. Crazy man. But I loved it, seeing all the different freaky people. I guess the novelty will wear off soon enough and I'll look and act as grumpy pants as everyone else here.

Of course it also only took me 5 seconds to spot the drum-n-bass, break beats, dance store. So I've collected all my paraphenalia, had a chat to the DJs instore (working there and punters also) and now have a nice list of clubs to check out. ... Although, I can't for the life of me remember how to make my way back to this store. It was down one of the side streets off the markets. ..**sigh**... guess I'll just have to go back and explore Camden Town a bit more.

Boy o boy.... was this such a different world away from my expeditions yesterday. I took in the sites on Sat of Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, Big Ben & Houses of Parliament and had a pub meal of bangers and mash in a pub just up near Trafalgar Square.

However, my timing for my arrival at Buckingham Palace was impeccable. I arrived just before midday as the palace guards were going on parade with the marching band. I also had prime pozzie right outside the gates. Very cool.

Deciding that I was bloody freezing, I thought it prudent of me to purchase a hot chocolate in St James Park on my way up to Westminster and stroll through the gardens and watch the geese and squirrels.. the dear little rascals...

The sight seeing was cool around Big Ben, will show pics soon on flickr.com... Oh! And also happened upon the Palace Life Guards on horseback near Whitehall. It was only when I was having lunch of lumpy mash (somewhat disappointing) and sausage in red wine sauce and onion (remedying the poor mash), washed down with a pint that I realised I had overlooked No 10 Downing Street. Never mind, I have pics of the anti-Iraq war protestors outside the Houses of Parliament to remind me that Blair is a Baby Killer. .. ahem...

Trafalgar Sqaure - full of pigeons and tourists. It's a famous London street scene. There should be a t-shirt saying "I survived the double decker buses and cabs to make it here".

So anyway, that's about it for now. I start a new job on Wednesday. woohoo! And I'm a bit excited about that. So I have 2 days left of relative freedom before I become a wage slave again. Ah well.... I just hope it's nothing like the BBC production "The Office"

ciao!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Fi,

the Children's Parade at Camden Town on a Sunday is pretty wild, innit? And I'm pretty sure I found the same D'n'B store - side street off the markets - can't remember the name of it though. Make sure you keep us up to date on your explorations of the club scene :-) (btw, just posted you a flyer for the Nasha Eastern D'n'B night - it's for last month, but you can check their website for what's coming up - those guys are cool).

I think I also ended up doing some shopping at the Camden Town markets - I got a black Atari t-shirt for £5 (really wanted a Commodore 64 t-shirt, but I think they were like £15 or something.....)

Can't wait to see your pics....

And you start work in 2 days! Girl, you know how to land on your feet......

Viva la squid!

Mark