Tuesday, November 01, 2005

"normal" service

So anyway, Monday morning I'm sitting at Homerton (Silverlink Trains) station waiting for the 8.19am train to get me into Stratford where I will change for the Central line tube into St Paul's and walk down to work for my 9am meeting. 20 mins later there's some garbled announcement on the West bound platform that all trains in that direction have been cancelled. Something going on at Dalston. Whatever... I'll just sit and wait.

Then I see droves of people start to leave the Eastbound platform moments later. Apparently someone up the other end of the platform hears that the trains in our direction are also cancelled...
F*@#....F*@#....F*@#....F*@#....F*@#....F*@#....F*@#....F*@#....F*@#....
F*@#....F*@#....F*@#.... F*@#....F*@#...#....F*@#....F*@#....F*@#....
F*@#....F*@#....F*@#....F*@#....F*@#....F*@#....F*@#.... F*@#....F*@#....
F*@#....F*@#.... F*@#....F*@#....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[I'll just give you a few moments to guage what my reaction to that was....ahem!!]

So going out in sympathy with my other fellow commuters, back past the ticket office where the station dude has conveniently placed himself back behind the safety of the glass....I trudge down (in the rain) to the bus stop.... a water main has burst...splashed and drenched by passing traffic... I ring the office. "Sorry, god only knows what time I'll be in today."

Not the first time I've been left stranded by Silverlink. That train company is the most poor excuse for public transport that I've ever come across. Stranded at Stratford when the last train home is cancelled, platform hopping in heeled shoes on wet tiles, severe delays here, cancellations there, dirty disgusting trains, overcrowding, infrequent...worse than trying to get around in a billy cart in some third world country..,

So I check the website today to see if the trains are running...man...they also need to pay for a webmaster to keep that thing up to date. Appalling. Ring customer service...first time ever..."I want to make a complaint". So I get the email address instead.
custrel@silverlink-trains.com and get told to put my complaint in writing...sheesh! Plus a ribbing from my workmates who hear the whole fiasco.

...but apparently the trains are back to a "normal" service. F!! more cancellations, delays, etc etc

I decide not to risk it and walk in my killer (killing my feet) heeled boots to the bus stop. 15 min later and an angry crowd, I ask this guy what's going on. They've been waiting for the bus for an hour and are told the delay is due to some fire that happened in East London on the weekend. Wha tha...!!! It's now Tuesday!!!...I guess that's good ole British maintenance/service for you.

So the bus gets going. Eventually. Charming creature driving the bus as always. Moments later, the bus lurches to a stop and we all go hurtling off our seats across the bus. So now I'm sporting a rather sore shoulder after being slammed into the emergency exit and the guy who was opposite me will be seeing his doctor tomorrow, from the groin injury sustained when I sort of accidentally kneed him in the nether regions....ouch!!!!

Despite the optimistic timetables promising a bus trip of only 38 mins back home, it took over some hour and 20min....feet killing me...at least the alarms in our flats have finally ceased (a week later...)... no little brats harrassing me for money in the name of trick or treating on Halloween...I can't stand the children (devils) here...but that's another story...

No comments: