Friday, July 01, 2005

live 8 masturbate

G8 Summit. More world leaders scratching their heads. Whatever happened to the good 'ole days of slavery? How can we convince these Africans that they'd at least be fed and watered if they agreed to be our slaves again, rather starved and slaughtered by their own corrupt governments...???

....July 1, 2005... A crowd gathers outside Euston station with placards declaring Bush and Blair terrorists... yawn.... baggage ready to go to Edinburgh to protest for the ensuing G8 summit. I watch them with interest from my 3rd floor open plan office at Network Rail. Half wishing I was out there with them...feeling somewhat guilty for my pin striped charcoal attire... that is, until someone calls out 'look! they are buying coffee from Starbucks....!!!!!!' Wha... the... ??????

So why is it so difficult for these so-called activists to resist a coffee from Starbucks and walk the extra 10 metres or so to the AMT (free trade) coffee stand? Beats me????

...what the fudge do rock-stars care about world poverty? I mean, was Bono thinking about a social conscience when he sued his former Joshua Tree stylist for the Stetson he 'gave' her on the final night of the tour? Is Robbie Williams giving any of his increased royalties resulting from the Live 8 concerts to World Aid? Are the activists still sipping on Starbucks or chilling with a Coke?

1 comment:

Chaim said...

Bravo, and amen! Good to see someone calling Live-8's bluff. Here in the US people are still jerking off about it even a month after the fact, and it feels like no one but me and a few friends are wise to it. What an embarassing crock. People seemed totally duped by the whole "end poverty" thing. no one in this country seems to know what "free trade" actually means.

Anyway, thanks for giving me one of those moments in which I don't feel so alone in sanity :)

ps. I like your blog. I will read some more.