Friday, March 18, 2005

spring is in the air

Goodness gracious me, it's a beautiful sunny day here in ole London town today and set to continue over the weekend. (I have my best weather girl voice on while I type this...). Methinks it's a perfect opportunity to get outside and explore London town a bit more... and procrastinate further about study....

Hmm... perhaps I'll venture on to Whitechapel Gallery or Spitalfield and Brick Lane markets. ... but then again I have no money to spend. Have to pay the rent next week. I won't tell you all how much I pay.... all the Aussies reading this will have heart attacks. But to give you an idea... for the monthly rent it's basically your life savings and doubled each month....We figure there is enough chemicals in the London air to sustain (preserve) us between rental payments....

Seriously though, now that I'm earning £'s and not converting back to Aussie $'s it's not too bad living here.

I know, everyone is obsessed with the weather... but I honestly can't believe what a difference there is here compared with just over a week or so ago. I was honestly trudging to the tube station in the snow once or twice. Trying desperately not to slip over flat on my arse. I was layered up with clothing, suffering from a nasty flu and everyone was just gloomy and agitated. Now, today, everyone is smiling... and I wasn't quite fearing for my life getting off the train as people literally just shove you out of the way.... people actually stood aside this morning and I've people hold the door open.... remarkable.

.. A comment on the weather readers... I can't stand them... they act out the weather! If it's blowing a gale they literally pretend they are the wind.... All I can think is they must be former or rejected Tele-Tubbies to carry on like this.

I'm even having to wear my sunnies today. Apparently it's only the Italians who go around at all times of the year indoors and outdoors wearing sunglasses.

And St Patrick's day yesterday... you'd almost think we were in Dublin, not London. Green and orange everywhere yesterday... alas... not really knowing anyone just yet to join in for a few pints.... I trundled home to a Stella Artois and soggy pasta... a bit depressing... almost knocked on my neighbours door to ask if i could stay for tea... They are Iranian and make the best smelling curries... mmmmmmm........ curry......

Although, I have had the opportunity to sample some of the Indian curry here... Bellissimo! (ok, I'm going to take up Italian again also. Dying to go to Italy). The flavours were just fantastic and superb service. (I was at someone's birthday dinner). Probably not made as hot as some Aussie curries I've had. No matter. Loved it...

And finally on the culinary front, I am still yet to find the ultimate coffee shop here in London. You know... the coffee you just have to have... to die for... lots of chain stores around... and some small coffee shops, but the Brits just can't seem to make a decent coffee. And the Italians and French seem to be catering to Britains bland tastes. The search continues....

No comments: